Jack T.H. Fenety invested into the Order of Canada
March 20, 2006
OTTAWA – On behalf of Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, the Honourable Herménégilde Chiasson, Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick, presented the insignia of Member of the Order of Canada to Mr. Jack T.H. Fenety during a ceremony which took place Saturday March 18th, at Old Government House, in Fredericton, New Brunswick. The appointment has been in effect as of June 29, 2005.
The following text is the official citation for Mr. Fenety:
Jack T.H. Fenety, C.M.
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Member of the Order of Canada
For more than 50 years, Jack Fenety has been a tireless volunteer in the movement to conserve Atlantic salmon in its natural environment. As president of the Miramichi Salmon Association, he pushed for tighter catch limits, led the implementation of fishing education programs and established salmon rearing programs. A tenacious and determined leader, he has also benefited local, national and international salmon conservation councils. In addition, he was a household name in New Brunswick during his career as a broadcaster with CFNB radio, most notably as host of his unique daily morning program, Fact and Fancy.
A backgrounder on the Order of Canada is attached.
Rideau Hall Press Office
Public informationOrder of Canada Backgrounder
The Chancellery of Honours
(613) 993-3524 or 1 800 465-6890
- The Order of Canada was established in 1967 to recognize outstanding achievement and service in various fields of human endeavour. It is our country's highest honour for lifetime achievement.
- Three different levels of membership—Companion, Officer and Member—honour people whose accomplishments vary in degree and scope.
- Appointments are made on the recommendation of an advisory council, chaired by the Chief Justice of Canada. The Governor General is the Chancellor and Principal Companion of the Order.
- Membership in the Advisory Council reflects the diversity and excellence in Canadian society. Certain Advisory Council members are appointed by virtue of their office; others are appointed to the Council for a fixed term to achieve a balanced representation of the various regions of the country.
- The current members of the Council are:
- The Right Honourable Beverley McLachlin, P.C., Chief Justice of Canada (Chair)
- The Honourable Thomas R. Berger, O.C.
- Dr. Daurene E. Lewis, O.C.
- Mr. Richard Francis Haskayne, O.C.
- Mr.Kevin Lynch, Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet
- Mr. Tom Jackson, O.C.
- Miss Karen Kain, C.C., Chair, the Canada Council for the Arts
- Mrs. Judith A. LaRocque, C.V.O., Deputy Minister, Canadian Heritage
- Mr. L. Jacques Ménard, O.C.
- Ms. Patricia A. Demers, C.M., President, the Royal Society of Canada
- M. Bonnie M. Patterson, Chairman of the Board, Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
- Any group or individual is welcome to nominate deserving individuals as candidates for appointment.
- Any Canadian may be nominated for the Order of Canada. The only exceptions are federal and provincial politicians and judges, who may not be appointed while holding office.
- Non-Canadians may be considered for honorary appointments.