The Entrance Hall of Rideau Hall
The Entrance Hall serves as Rideau Hall's main ceremonial and public entrance. It is part of a major addition to Rideau Hall in 1913, including a new stone front featuring a massive Royal Coat of Arms, which is reputed to be one of the largest in the world.
The Edwardian-style hall has retained all its original architectural features, among them the marble wainscot and staircase as well as the coffered ceiling.
The provincial and territorial flags are displayed on both sides of the doors to the main entrance as well as two impressive stained glass windows which were unveiled by her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on June 30, 1992. Created by Canadian artist Christopher Wallis, the windows were donated by the then Right Honourable Ramon Hnatyshyn, governor general, and Mrs. Hnatyshyn, as well as by Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton Southam. The regal window commemorates the 40th anniversary of the accession to the throne of Her Majesty as the Queen of Canada and celebrates the 125th anniversary of Confederation. The viceregal window commemorates the 40th anniversary of the appointment of Canadian governors general and the 25th anniversary of Canada's Honours System.
Near the viceregal window, the Order of Canada is recognized in a tapestry by internationally renowned textile artist Micheline Beauchemin.
The portraits of the first two Canadian governors general are displayed in the reception area of the Entrance Hall. The one of the Right Honourable Vincent Massey, appointed Governor General in 1952 and the first Canadian citizen to be named to this position, is the work of L.T. Newton. The portrait of the Right Honourable Georges P. Vanier, first French-speaking governor general, was done by Charles F. Comfort. On the opposite side, a painting by artist Jean Paul Lemieux presents the Right Honourable Jules Léger, Governor General from 1974 to 1979, and Madame Gabrielle Léger, in front of the Rideau Hall façade.
Also featured in the reception area are two demi-lune side tables by furniture designer Michael Fortune.
Two panels on either side of the entrance to the Reception Room display the coats of arms of all the governors and governors general of Canada since 1608.