Recipe for the Order of Canada Investiture
Gold Dusted Abitibi-Témiscamingue Sturgeon Caviar
on Potato Galettes
- Russet Potatoes (2 lbs)
- Butter (¼ lb)
- Clams (½ cup – optional)
- Salt (1 tbsp)
- Pepper (1 tsp)
- Nutmeg ¼ tsp)
- Sour Cream (½ cup)
- 35% cream (½ cup)
- Chives chopped (½ cup )
- Canadian caviar (1 ounce)
- Gold dust (optional)
- Peal and grate the potatoes.
- With your hands, squeeze the excess water out of the potatoes and place in a bowl.
- Add the clams, melted butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg, and mix.
- Place mixture in a 12” by 12” sheet pan lined with parchment paper, spreading the mixture evenly and applying even pressure.
- Cover with another sheet of parchment paper, and then with a sheet of tin foil.
- Bake at 375º in the oven for 45 minutes, cover with another sheet pan and apply pressure using weights such as a brick or large cans of tomato juice. Once at room temperature, cool in the refrigerator leaving the weights on.
- Cut potato galettes into 24 even squares and pan fry until golden brown.
- Mix the sour cream with the 35% cream to create crème fraiche.
- Place galettes on a serving platter of you choice, drizzle galettes with the crème fraiche, and garnish each piece with some caviar, chives and gold dust.
- Enjoy with a glass of Canadian bubbly.
- Make 24 pieces each