Salad of Rideau Hall Vegetables and Lobster Ceviche
Salt Water Blanched Market Vegetables
Recipe from Chef Louis Charest and Paul Kirijian
- 2 x 750 g lobster (1.66lb. or 26.5 oz.)
or 400 g (14 oz.) lobster meat
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) finely diced red onions
- 8 ml (1.5 teaspoon) fine capers
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dill
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1 ml (0.25 teaspoon) chopped garlic
- Juice of 2 limes
- few drops of Tabasco
- few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- sea salt to taste
- 40 ml (3 tablespoons) champagne vinegar
- 40 ml (3 tablespoons) First press olive oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) garlic flowers
- 2 thinly sliced French shallots
Market fresh vegetables
- 1 L salt water or water with sea salt to taste
- 4 Patti pan squash, 4 miniature turnip, 4 miniature zucchini and a few thin slices of radish; or your choice of vegetables.
- Fill a stock pot ¾ full with salted water and bring to boil.
- Plunge lobsters and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the lobsters and cool them down in iced water. Drain.
- Remove the claws from the shell, keep them whole and put them back in the boiling water for another 4 minutes.
- When cooked, cool down the lobster claws in ice water. Drain
- In a saucepan, bring the salt water to a boil and blanch the market vegetables until they are tender, that is to say, until they are easily pierced by the sharply pointed blade of a knife. Cool them down in ice water and then remove them to drain.
Lobster ceviche preparation
- Peel the lobster tails and claws, and dice the tail meat. Keep the claws for decoration.
- Gently mix the lobster meat with the diced red onions, capers, dill, mustard seeds, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Season with sea salt to taste.
Champagne vinaigrette preparation
- Mix the champagne vinegar, first press olive oil, garlic flowers and thinly sliced French shallots.
- Place the mixed seasoned ceviche in the center of the plate. Lay one lobster claw on each plate.
- Add the market vegetables. Add coarse ground black pepper.
- Season with champagne vinaigrette and decorate with fresh herbs.