Quadra Island Honey Mussel Corn Fritter
Serves 3 dozens.
Recipe from Chef Louis Charest
Quadra Island mussels (British Columbia)
- 36 Pieces Quadra Island mussels (scrubbed and rinsed)
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) of olive oil
- 8 ml (2 tsp) each chopped garlic, ginger, shallots
- 125 ml (0.25 cup )Gewürztraminer
In a large pot over medium high heat quickly cook the garlic, ginger and shallots with the olive oil for a few seconds and add the mussels. Stir for a few more seconds, add the gewürztraminer and cover immediately the pot. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until all mussels have opened. Discard any unopened mussel. Remove meat from the shells and refrigerate. Keep cooking juices for the fritter batter.
The fritter dough
- 440 ml (1.75 cup) corn meal
- 125 ml (0.5 cup) Buttermilk
- 125 ml (0.5 cup) mussel cooking juices
- 375 ml (1.5 cup) flour
- 125 ml (0.5 cup) corn starch
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (0.5 tsp) baking soda
- 2 ml (0.5 tsp) salt
- 125 ml (0.5cup) cold water
- 3 egg yolks
- 30 gr (1oz) Black currant (syrup or jam)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped chipotle, 15 ml (1 tsp chilli flakes)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped cilantro
- 3 egg whites
- 250 ml (1 cup) coarsely ground toasted bbq corn nut
Fritter dough preparation
- Soak the corn meal with the buttermilk and mussel cooking juices (or water or fish stock)
- Leave refrigerated over night. (When time available)
- Combine and mix dry ingredients.
- Add the cold water and egg yolks to liquefy the cornmeal preparation that was in the over night.
- Add the black currant, chopped chipotle and cilantro
- Whisk dry ingredients into the wet mixture just until combined. (Do not over whisk)
- When you are ready to use the fritters dough, whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
- Pick up the mussels with a skewer one at a time and dip into the fritter batter.
- Sprinkle with ground corn nuts
- Fry in 350 Fahrenheit hot oil until golden. (About 30 seconds)
- Serve immediately as is or enjoy with garlic sour cream mayonnaise and chipotle ketchup (optional)
- Also garnish with whole corn nuts and chopped cilantro
Garlic Sour Cream Mayonnaise: (optional)
- 75 ml (0.25 cup) mayonnaise
- 125 ml (0.50 cup) sour cream
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream mayonnaise method
Mix all ingredients together and enjoy