Wild Strawberry Flourless Short Cake
with a Fruit Beer Mousseline
and Sweet Cicely Sorbet (optional)
For the fruit beer mousseline
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 65 ml (1/4 cup) blackberry flavored white beer
- or a carbonated fruit soda
- 30 g (1 oz) sugar
- 85 ml (1/3 cup) 35% cream
For the wild strawberries
- 150 g (5 oz) wild strawberries
- or regular strawberries or your favourite berries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- a drizzle white beer or other fruit beer or carbonated fruit soda or fruit wine
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
For the Cake
- 5 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 240 g (8 oz) sugar
- 240 g (8 oz) ground almonds
- 5 g cinnamon (ground)
- 5g baking powder
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar and beer. Leave covered until ready to use.
Cake preparation method
- In a mixer, whip the egg yolks with half of the sugar until a ribbon is attained, set aside.
- In a mixer, whip the egg whites with the rest of the sugar until a stiff peak is attained and fold in with the whipped yolks.
- Mix the ground almonds with the baking powder and cinnamon and fold into the whipped egg mixture.
- Place the mixture in 2 buttered 9 inch cake pans and cook in a preheated 375°F oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Gently set aside until cool. Cover and keep aside until ready to use.
Fruit beer mousseline preparation
- In a stainless steel bowl over medium heat, emulsify the egg yolks with the white beer until light a frothy, add the sugar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff, add the vanilla and fold into the emulsified egg yolks.
- Refrigerate until use.
Putting the dessert together
- Strain the strawberries, but save the juice as you will be brushing the cake with it later.
- Fold some of the red currant jelly with the strawberries.
- Cut the cake 8 square pieces so that 2 pieces make one portion.
- Brush the almond flourless cake with the strawberry juice.
- Spoon some of the mousseline over one piece of cake, cover with some of the strawberries and with a little more mousseline. Top with a second piece of cake.
- Drizzle some of the red currant jelly over and around the shortcake, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Spoon a home made lemon sorbet next to the shortcake and garnish with mint leaf.
Recipe from Chef Louis Charest