Farelton blue foot mushroom-crusted wapiti rib
Suggested side dish:
- Red cabbage with Île d’Orléans blackcurrant liquor
- Pemmican-roasted root vegetables
Farelton mushroom crust
- Dried blue foot mushrooms 100 g -3.5 oz (You may substitute with other dried mushrooms, such as king bolete)
- Parsley, chopped 50 ml -1.7oz
- Thyme, chopped 30 ml -1 oz
- Rosemary, chopped 20 ml -0.6 oz
- Bread crumbs 200 ml -7 oz
- Olive oil 30 ml -1 oz
- Place the dried mushrooms in a food processor; reduce to powder.
- In a bowl, combine mushrooms, chopped fresh herbs and bread crumbs.
- Stir in olive oil until mixed well. Set aside.
Wapiti rib and reduction
- Wapiti ribs (3 to 4 oz each) 8
- Ground wapiti 200 g - 67 oz
- Ground veal 200 g - 67 oz
- Ground wild boar flank 200 g (you may substitute with pork)
- Shallots, minced 50 ml -1.7 oz
- Garlic, minced 50 ml -1.7 oz
- Ground clove 2 ml - 0.1 oz
- Ground ginger 3 ml - 0.2 oz
- Ground cinnamon 2 ml - 0.1 oz
- Bay leaves 2
- Fresh thyme 3 branches
- Ground black pepper 3 ml-0.2 oz
- Île d’Orléans blackcurrant liquor 100 ml-3.4 oz
- Sherry or Madeira 50 ml-1.7 oz
- Red wine 250 ml-8.5 oz
- Grape seed oil 30 ml -1oz
- Meat glaze 200 ml-6.8 oz
- In a bowl, combine blackcurrant liquor, sherry, pepper, thyme, shallots and garlic.
- Add wapiti ribs and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade; set marinade aside. Brush ribs with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a fry pan, on high heat, sear ribs on each side. Deglaze the fry pan with red wine and add marinade. Reduce by half.
- Remove half of reduction and allow to cool.
- Add meat glaze to the other half of the reduction and simmer for few minutes until a thick consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper.
- Strain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground meats, cooled reduction, spices, and salt and pepper.
- Line a loaf pan (3” x 10” or 7.6 cm x 25.4 cm; and 2” or 5 cm high) with parchment paper.
- With a spatula, coat the sides and bottom of the pan with the ground meat mixture.
- Press a rib into the mixture on the side of the pan, with the rib bone extending outwards. Cover the rest of the rib with the mixture. Repeat with the rest of the ribs until pan is full.
- Spread remaining mixture over top and cover with parchment paper.
- Cook in oven at 200 °F (93 °C) for approximately 40 minutes, or until core temperature reaches 135 °F (57 °C).
- Remove from oven and turn out from pan. Cover the top with the mushroom crust.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 °F (232 °C) and bake until crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, slice between ribs and serve with your favourite condiments and the wapiti reduction.