Braised Appalachian Elk Short Rib
Suggested side dish:
- Charred Tenderloin
- Gastric Glazed Riopelle Yorkshire
- Grilled Vegetables and Braising Liquid
Braised Boneless Elk Short Ribs
- Ground cloves ½ tsp
- Ground cumin 1 tsp
- Chili flakes 1 tsp
- Ground allspice ½ tsp
- Ground nutmeg ½ tsp
- Cardamom ¼ tsp
- Cacao powder 2 tsp
- Paprika 2 tsp
- Onion powder 4 tsp
- Garlic powder 4 tsp
- Maldon Sea Salt 2 tsp
- Elk full Short Rib 4
- Onion, chopped 250 ml (1 cup)
- Carrot, chopped 250 ml (1 cup)
- Garlic bulb, cut in half 1
- Tomato paste 2 tbsp
- Celery, chopped 250 ml (1 cup)
- Bay leaf 2
- Thyme sprig 6
- Peppercorn 1 tsp
- Red wine 500 ml (2 cups)
- Veal or chicken stock 1.5 L (6 cups)
- Olive oil 65 ml (¼ cup)
- Shallots, diced 65 ml (¼ cup)
- Garlic, chopped 65 ml (¼ cup)
- Ginger, minced 65 ml (¼ cup)
- To make the spice mix for the ribs, combine the cloves, cumin, chili flakes, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, cacao powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Using a sharp butcher knife, carefully remove the meat from the rib bones. Set bones aside.
- Cut the boneless meat lengthwise into eight strips approximately 25 cm (10 inches) long and
3 cm (1 ½ inches) thick. Dust the meat with your spice rub on both sides.
- Starting at the wide end of one of the rib bones, roll each meat strip around the bone until full, then tie them with butcher twine. Refrigerate until cooking process begins.
- In a preheated 350°F (177°C) oven, roast the extra rib bones until browned. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, tomato paste and a drizzle of oil, mix it around a little, and continue roasting for another 20 minutes. Add the celery, stir, and deglaze with the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the flavor particles. Pour into a pot, add the stock, bay leaf, thyme and peppercorn, and simmer for two hours. Strain stock and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat in a cast iron pan, add the olive oil and brown the meat-wrapped rib on all sides. Set aside in a deep braising vessel just large enough to hold them together. Degrease and deglaze the pan with your elk stock, bring to a simmer, and pour over the elk short ribs. Add the shallots, garlic and ginger. Cover with lid and cook in a 325°F (163°C) oven for 3 ½ hours. If not being served immediately, cool in braising liquid; otherwise, transfer meat onto serving platter with the cooking juice and your favourite side dish.