A Gift of Light
The enormous chandelier that hangs in the Ballroom was a gift from the government of the United Kingdom to thank Canada for its participation in World War II. It weighs close to a ton, and when lit, thousands of pieces of Waterford crystal reflect light into every corner of the room.
The gift was made in 1951. Appropriately, the Governor General at the time was Lord Alexander, himself a war hero. Here, we see him (second left) receiving the chandelier from the British High Commissioner. To the left is Lester B. Pearson, Canada's Minister of External Affairs at that time and later Prime Minister.